Queensland Take State of Origin 2015 with a Devastating Demolition of NSW

NSW Capitulate in Brisbane

Queensland took the 2015 Sate of Origin title with an unexpected demolition of NSW in Brisbane last night.

Queensland players celebrate with the Origin shield

Queensland players celebrate with the Origin shield

After the narrowest of wins in the first game and a fairly convincing defeat to the Blues in Melbourne, no one could have expected the devastation that occurred in game three in Brisbane.

NSW started off strongly enough and even took the first points, but it was pretty much an out of control run down hill from there.

The Guardian reports the shocking sequence of events.

Queensland are State of Origin champions again after overwhelming NSW in Wednesday’s series decider 52-6 at Suncorp Stadium.

The Maroons dominated the first half, scoring three tries to nil on the back of 65% of possession to lead 22-2 at the break. If the game wasn’t over then, it was when David Klemmer spilt the ball close to the NSW line shortly after half-time and a dramatic flick back from Justin Hodges created a try for Matt Gillett to put the score out to 28-2.

Age is just a number for the Maroons

Age is just a number for the Maroons

Queensland’s aggression in defence hurt the Blues early, but NSW were their own worst enemies also, giving away cheap penalties and dropping the ball far too often before a new ground record of 52,500.

It is the most points Queensland have scored in an Origin match and it is their biggest winning margin.

A calf injury to Ryan Hoffman early didn’t help the visitors’ cause. He has been one of NSW’s best throughout the series but it is doubtful whether he could have made much difference.

Corey Parker led the way for the Maroons early with Johnathan Thurston taking advantage.

After the sides swapped early penalty goals, Dane Gagai crossed on debut in the 15th minute, Josh Papalii added to that in the 27th and Greg Inglis crashed over five minutes before the break as the Maroons enjoyed by far the better of field position and possession.

It was a position NSW were never going to recover from. To make matters worse for the Blues, Trent Merrin and Trent Hodkinson were put on report for an ugly tackle on Parker in the 34th minute, while James Tamou copped likewise for a hit on Jacob Lillyman in the 54th minute.

By then, the game was well and truly over, with tries to Michael Morgan in the 50th minute and Darius Boyd in the 57th minute increasing the home side’s lead.

Michael Jennings scooped on a loose Maroons pass and sprinted 50m for NSW’s only try in the 60th minute. But that only barely stopped the Maroons’ tide with Will Chambers and Aidan Guerra later chiming in for four-pointers.

The Blues had hoped this would be a night they would start to create their own dynasty but Queensland wrested back control of the interstate series. They have won nine of the past 10 series, after NSW won last year.

More at Queensland romp to 2015 State of Origin series win with demolition of NSW

Much has been made of the aging Queensland squad and post match Justin Hodges confirmed that he was retiring from Origin football, but last night’s performance will convince everyone that there is plenty of life in the old dogs yet.

Grab your State of Origin memorobilia from the links below

By Max Power


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>